U.S. flag

An official government website

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Skip links

Uniformed and Overseas Civilians

Active Military and Overseas Civilians

U.S. Armed Forces (Active Duty) members and dependents as well as Overseas Civilians can exercise their right to vote.

The voting residence is the place where you resided before entering the service or left the country.

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) provides a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA). The FPCA is both a registration form and a request for ballots.  The request for ballots is valid for one calendar year, and should be submitted the first of the year, every year you wish to vote.

You, your spouse, or a close relative may request the Board of Elections to mail a ballot to you. Applications may be made in person, by mail, email, or fax. Ohio accepts a single FPCA as a request for ballots for all elections in a calendar year.

Your request must include:

  • Your name and voting residence (Montgomery County address).
  • A statement that you are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty or are the spouse or dependent.
  • Date of birth.
  • Either your Ohio driver’s license number or the last four digits of your social security number
  • Election you are requesting: ex. Primary, Special, or General
    • If the request is for a primary, you must include which party ballot you wish to receive or issues only (if available)
  • A statement that you are a qualified elector
  • Your complete legal signature
  • If a relative is applying for a ballot, we need his/her signature, relationship and address.
  • In lieu of an Ohio driver’s license number or the last four of your social security number, the following forms of identification can be used:
    • A copy of your Ohio driver’s license
    • A copy of an identification card issued by the State of Ohio or the United States government
    • A copy of a current (within 12 months) utility bill
    • A copy of a bank statement
    • A copy of a paycheck
    • A copy of a government check

For further information on armed service absentee voting contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Federal Postcard Application (FPCA)
Mailing Address