If you register by mail and do not provide either a current Ohio driver’s license number or the last four digits of your Social Security number, please enclose with your application a copy of one of the following forms of identification that shows your name and current address:
- Current valid photo identification card, military identification
- Current (with in one year) utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check or government document (except board of elections notifications) showing your name and current address
October 5, 2020 for General Election November, 2020
The last day to register to vote is thirty days prior to an election.
Absentee Voting Deadlines
Applications by mail for absentee voter ballots must be received by boards of elections by noon three days prior to an election. Board of elections must receive absentee voter ballots in accordance with the following:
*A VOTER OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES BALLOT MUST BE POST-MARKED NO LATER THAN ELECTION DAY, AND RECEIVED WITHIN 10 DAYS AFTER THE ELECTION
*A VOTER FROM WITHIN THE UNITED STATES BALLOT MUST BE POST-MARKED NO LATER THAN THE DAY BEFORE ELECTION DAY, AND RECEIVED WITHIN 10 DAYS AFTER THE ELECTION.
To vote in an election, you must be registered. There are many ways to make your voice heard, but the first step is signing up. To become a registered voter, you must be:
NOTICE: Your registration or change of address must be received or postmarked 30 days before the election. We will notify you of your polling location.
- A US citizen and 18 years old on or before the next general election;
- A resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before election day;
- Registered to vote at least 30 days before election day.
- You are not incarcerated for a felony conviction.
- You have not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court.
- You have not been permanently disenfranchised for violations
of election laws.
Where to Early Vote in Montgomery County:
You can vote early at the Montgomery County Board of Elections. The MCBOE is located in the basement of the Montgomery County building at 451 W. Third St., Dayton, OH 45422.
How to get to Early Voting:
The entrance to the public parking garage for the MCBOE is located off W. Second St. between the entrance to I-75 South and the Montgomery County Jail. Parking is free for voters coming to Early Voting. Once you have parked, go into the Lobby of the County Building, then follow the signs down the escalators to Early Voting. In most elections Early Voting will be located in our office on the Mezzanine (basement). In larger, even-year elections Early Voting will be located on the Lower Level.
Identification must be presented to vote. Ohio law requires that every voter, upon appearing at the polling place to vote on Election Day, must announce his or her full name and current address and provide proof of identity.
Other Helpful Links
The Board of Elections is here to help. Whether you are a citizen or a candidate, we provide the information you need to participate in Ohio elections.